How do I make a WorkCover Claim?
Suffering a work injury can cause much more than physical harm. Our experience shows us that workplace injuries lead to financial pressure, family problems and psychological harm. The most effective way to minimise the affect of any workplace injury on you and your family is to know your rights and make sure you are taking the proper steps.
By knowing your rights, you’ll increase your chances of receiving proper weekly wages, obtaining the treatment you need and maximising your compensation.
Whether you’re starting a claim, or you currently have a claim and are unsure of your rights, our expert lawyers are here to help.
If you have been injured at work, chances are that you will be entitled to a number of benefits under the Workers’ Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003 (“Act”). This includes:
- Wages whilst an injured worker is unable to work; and
- Reasonable costs of treatment and rehabilitation such as physiotherapy and surgery.
How to start a WorkCover Claim?
In order to access weekly benefits and treatment you will be required to start a what is known as a statutory claim under the Act.
If you are injured at work, there are a number of steps that you should take as soon as possible. These include:
- notifying your employer or supervisor of any workplace injury.
- filling out an incident report and make sure you have a copy or take a photo;
- seeing your own doctor;
- asking your doctor to complete a Work capacity certificate;
- completing an application for Workers’ Compensation either by phone or form (you can obtain a claim form by going to https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/resources/forms and searching FM106 Claim Form);
- Speak with WorkCover Queensland to confirm that they received your application.